Post Updated on
Hi this is Episode Forty five of our beekeeping podcast, This week we are talking about Urban Beekeeping and Wellingtons Mayor is a Buzzing.
Welcome To the kiwimana buzz, A show where we talk about Beekeeping, gardening and life. You can listen to the show by clicking Play above or downloading the file from HERE.
Hi, it’s Gary and Margaret here, We are beekeepers from the hills of the Waitakere Ranges in West Auckland, New Zealand. Our podcast is about beekeeping, Gardening and bit of politics about environmental issues. We also have been known to go off on tangents about other issues.
What’s happening at Kiwimana
- Busy in the workshop
- A Film crew from AUT came over to kiwimana HQ to interview us
- Some great guests coming up on the podcast
- Wow 500 downloads in one day!!! and New Cover Artwork!!!
- We can now send products overseas 🙂
Here is our Chicken Mince Trap as discussed:-
- Beginner Beekeeping kits still being sold
- Look at reducing your entrances
- Wasp a big issue at the moment in New Zealand
- Plant are flowering again, strange season indeed
- infested ! … with Varroa !!
- 4 tips to choose the best beekeeping software
- Michael Young MBE – Beekeeper from Northern Ireland
- The Bee Lady – Sara Russ
- Honey Production Down – KM042
Top ten questions to think about before getting started in urban beekeeping
In light of all the recent media attention given to mass bee deaths, there has been a dramatic increase in people getting into beekeeping with the hope of saving the bees. Here is some questions raised by the Beekeeping is Good blog before you take the plunge into Beekeeping.
Points Raised in Article:-
- Why do I want to be an urban beekeeper?
- How much time does it take to keep bees?
- What are the beekeeping regulations?
- I’ve never kept bees before, how do I learn?
- Will a backyard hive impact my neighbours?
- How well do you know the neighbourhood?
- What makes bees grumpy?
- Where will the bees get their water?
- What factors do I need to consider while locating hives on my site?
- What is my population growth strategy?
Stunning photos show the ancient tradition of honey hunting in Nepal
Twice each year, the Gurung tribespeople of Central Nepal risk their lives collecting wild honey from the world’s largest hives high up on Himalayan cliffs. Travel photographer Andrew Newey recently spent two weeks capturing this ancient but dying art. Honey hunting in Nepal
Mayor buzzing about Te Aro school’s bee programme
Wellington’s mayor “Celia Wade-Brown spent time suited up with the children amongst the bees, before talking with school staff about the importance of nature based education. Mayor buzzing about Te Aro school’s bee programme
The Mafia carry out a hit on two million BEES
An Italian honey making business has been stung more than £100,000 after two million prize bees were killed in a suspected mafia hit. Hit on two million BEES
Wild bee loss bad for breed
Professor Peter Dearden is warning Beekeepers to check the genetic diversity of their stock following the first stage of a nationwide survey that shows significant in-breeding in New Zealand Bees. Wild bee loss bad for breed
National bee health survey planned in New Zealand
The bee industry will be working with the Primary Industry Ministry on a nationwide survey on bee health, expected to take place later this year. National bee health survey planned Our Recordings of the NBA Workshop on VSH Queens in Hamilton NBA Workshop
Participants sought for clinical trial
A recruitment drive is being launched in Tauranga as a Bay of Plenty-based pharmaceutical company looks for people to take part in a honey clinical trial. They are going to be testing Kanukau honey on skin conditions such as acne. Participants sought for clinical trial
Questions from you…
- Adding A Queen Excluder to bee hive – See How to use a Queen Excluder
- Does bee pollen remove nicotine from the body – ???
- How does a solar wax extractor works – See Solar Wax Extractor – What is it?
- How to make a solar wax extractor
- What is frame holder used for in beekeeping – See Bee Frame Holder – What is it?
Blog Post Coming Soon
- Linda Tillman Chat
- How to build Beehive Frames, this article can be found HERE
Feedback from you guys!!!
Great Resource For Beginner or Veteran Beekeepers – caniner – 5 Stars
Whether you are interested in trying beekeeping, a beginner or a veteran beekeeper, I highly recommend adding to your list of subscribed podcasts. Each podcast delivers a new perspective in beekeeping and better yet, from beekeepers worldwide. As a beekeeper in California I enjoy learning about different types of honey, bees, laws and practices in beekeeping. If you don’t have time to read about beekeeping now you can listen and catch up on the latest news. Thank you Gary and Margaret! – Thursday, 27 March 2014
After hours Bonus – Candy Chang: Before I die I want to…
End of the Show!!
Do you love what we do? did you find something useful for your beekeeping? Do you want to help us to continue to produce more content? It’s easy to do ! In addition to that ₋ being a supporter also gives you:-
- An exclusive secret RSS feed that provides you with:-
- Early Access to Shows ₋ You get the shows a week before the general release-date!!!
- Exclusive Supporter behind the scenes videos via the Patreon Application
- Thanked personally on the Podcasts
- ❤ Warm Heart ₋ You will have a great sleep knowing you are helping the world-wide bee community, by helping Gary and Margaret produce podcast shows, Videos and Blog posts to bee shared in the beekeeping community.
Support what we do? – BeeCome a Supporter
Did we say it’s easy to do??? So why not Join us today???
Please Subscribe to the Show
So did you enjoy that show ?…did you find something useful you can use in your beekeeping work or help keep you company as you work your bees??? Yes?
Then You can have the next show to automagically appear on your podcast listening device, simple to subscribe.
Visit http://kiwi.bz/subscribe to discover ways you can subscribe to the show.
Subscribing to the show is Totaly FREE
Other Ways to subscribe to The kiwimana Buzz…Have a Apple device subscribe in Apple Podcasts
Have spotify we are on there too!
Click here to subscribe via Google Podcasts
Click here to subscribe via RSS
You can also subscribe via Stitcher
We are on I Heart Radio