Post Updated on
The Way We Used to Bee – New Zealands First Beekeeping Podcast by Nick Wallingford
In 2006 Nick Wallingford released a series of podcasts about the history of Beekeeping in New Zealand. He has kindly given us permission to share this series of episodes here for you.
This is how Nick describes his show:-
A podcast of 5 to 10 minute episodes talking about the history of NZ beekeeping and the characters and incidents that have shaped the industry over the last 100 years.Nick Wallingford 2006
This was the very first beekeeping podcast from New Zealand. Our podcast started six years later in 2012.
Nicks show was mentioned in our recent interview with Nigel Costley. A few listeners expressed an interest in listening to these old shows.
This lead me to contact the original podcast creator Nick Wallingford. Nick moved to New Zealand from Texas in 1974 (If you were wondering about his US/kiwi accent).
Nick was the president of the National Beekeepers Association of New Zealand.
Nick is now 67 and has retired to the Bay of Plenty.
Here are the episodes:- Press on the Play Button to play the episode…
The Way We Used to Bee – 01: Introductions
Nick introduces his show and what you can expect in the coming episodes. – 20-May-2006
The Way We Used to Bee – 02: Peter Pegram
A returned serviceman invents the worlds easiest Honey Extractor. – 21-May-2006
The Way We Used to Bee 03: Allan Bates, packing machine, honey creamer
Nick talks about a Taranaki Beekeeper from the 1920s and his gadgets – 22-May-2006
The Way We Used to Bee 04: Trevor Palmer-Jones
Nick talks about his meeting with Trevor Palmer Jones about his work in the 30’s and 40’s. He discovered that Tutin was producing poisoned honey.- 06-Jun-2006
The Way We Used to Bee – 05: Famous Beekeeper families
The famous Bray family – 10/6/2006
The Way We Used to Bee – 06: Jack Fraser and Kevin Ecroyd
A story about adulated honey from the 1976 conference – 18/6/2006
The Way We Used to Bee – 07: Jack Glenn
Jack Glenn was a beekeeper from Southland, Nick shares a story from Jack. – 24/6/2006
The Way We Used to Bee – 08: Percy Hillary Beekeeper
His work in Honey Marketing – 16/7/2006
Thanks Nick for allowing us to share these shows with you all…Gary
- TWWUTB – 01 : Introductions 00:02:06
- TWWUTB – 02 : Peter Pegram 00:08:09
- TWWUTB – 03: Allan Bates, packing machine, honey creamer 00:13:03
- TWWUTB – 04: Trevor Palmer-Jones 00:17:24
- TWWUTB – 05: Famous Beekeeper families 00:23:43
- TWWUTB – 06: Jack Fraser and Kevin Ecroyd 00:31:31
- TWWUTB – 07: Jack Glenn 00:37:14
- TWWUTB – 08: Percy Hillary Beekeeper 00:41:36
End of the Show!!
Do you love what we do? did find something useful for your beekeeping? Do you want to help us to continue to produce more content? It’s easy to do ! In addition to that - being a supporter also gives you:-
- An exclusive secret RSS feed that provides you with:-
- Early Access to Shows - You get the shows a week before the general release-date!!!
- Exclusive Supporter behind the scenes videos via the Patreon Application
- Thanked personally on the Podcasts
- Warm Heart - You will have a great sleep knowing you are helping the world-wide bee community, by helping Gary and Margaret produce podcast shows, Videos and Blog posts to bee shared in the beekeeping community.
Please Subscribe to the Show
So did you enjoy that show ?...did you find something useful you can use in your beekeeping work or help keep you company as you work your bees??? Yes?
Then You can have the next show to automagically appear on your podcast listening device, simple to subscribe.
Visit http://kiwi.bz/subscribe to discover ways you can subscribe to the show.
Subscribing to the show is Totaly FREE
Other Ways to subscribe to The kiwimana Buzz...Have a Apple device subscribe in Apple Podcasts
Have spotify we are on there too!
Click here to subscribe via Google Podcasts
Click here to subscribe via RSS
You can also subscribe via Stitcher
We are on I Heart Radio