Have you ever thought about taking up Beekeeping, but just don’t know where to start?!
This introductory 5 hour Beekeeping Course is based in West Auckland, New Zealand. Please join the waitlist if this is Out of Stock, once we have enough students we will schedule dates for the next course.
Here at kiwimana we are Beekeepers who want to help those interested in Bees and Beekeeping by providing this simple and informative starter course. It will give you a great overview of the ‘world of Beekeeping’, a start without Bees, ‘Hands-Off’. Suitable for those without Bees. Then an Apiary visit to meet the Bees.
Benefits of taking a kiwimana Beekeeping Course ?
6 students per course – more exclusive – with low student numbers – more attention for you
Beekeeping Course Breakdown
First Stage no Bees
- Starting with Beehive configuration + Basic Beekeeping terminology.
- Demo of beekeeper gear + beekeeping tools + hive- woodware for starting out.
- Who are the Bees in the Hive ?
- What are the Risks ?
Second Stage no Bees
- Introduction to Seasons and how these affect Beekeeper and Bee Activities.
- Introduction to What is an ‘inspection? and their purpose ?
- What is Health, Disease and Beekeeper Hygiene?
- What are the Risks?
Third Stage – Visit the Apiary
- Introduction to our Apiary
- How to set-up a Beehive + Legalities + Beekeeper Hygiene
- What are the Risks?
- Lighting a smoker
- Meet the Bees + opening a fully working Beehive.
To be advised once booking/payment is confirmed – located in Waitakere Township, West Auckland.
Waitakere RD 2
Contact details for Margaret :
Mobile 0211 752 137
or landline (09) 810 9965 please leave voice message
Please arrive on time to take full advantage of Beekeeping course content.
You will be automatically booked into the course you choose – once payment has been received.
Thanks for choosing kiwimana to explore a start to your Beekeeping Adventures.
See you there 🙂
…join the kiwimana buzz… XXXXNEWSLETTER
Goal of the Introduction to the World of Beekeeping course
The overall goal of this simple introductory course is for you to gather information to see if Beekeeping is for you.
You will learn the very basics from covering what is needed to get started and understanding on what time would be involved in running a Beehive.
You will visit our apiary and we’ll introduce you to our Bees.
After the introduction course, there will be further learning opportunities with “forward-training” Beekeeping courses to gain wider Beekeeping and Beehive management understanding.
Other Courses we run
- Introduction to the World of Beekeeping – click HERE for further information
- Intro to Beehive Management for Beeginuzz - click HERE for further information
- Seasonal Beehive Space Management - Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter - click HERE for further information
- Organic Varroa Management - Integrated Pest Management Program (IPM) - click HERE for further information
- Beehive Management - Splits Swarms - click HERE for further information
- Beehive Management - Honey Extraction - click HERE for further information/span>
- Flexi Classes - Mixed Content - Your Choice - click HERE for further information
These courses will help you in gaining some basic knowledge from looking at a Beehive to gaining understanding as to what is IN a Beehive, then increase your knowledge on to, How to manage a Beehive.
Best times for Bee Courses = anytimeIn Bee Season 2019 Kiwimana will run courses regularly. Options include
- Weekdays - Wednesdays and Thursdays
- Weekends - Saturdays and Sundays
Benefits of taking a kiwimana Beekeeping Course?
- We have over 10 years of beekeeping experience
- We run our Beehives organically
- 6 students per course - more exclusive - with low student numbers - more attention for you
- We are experienced in dealing with The Varroa Destructor Mite organically
- We are hobbyist beekeepers
- All methods and tools are used by us in our day-to-day management of our Beehives
Due to the extensive subject matter in beekeeping, kiwimana present our tried and true beehive management methods, using the simplest and easy to apply methods for beginners so you can gain awareness to help you keep your beehive colony alive.
It’s important to note, that as with any new learning, your skills will grow as your experience grows.
These courses are specific to managing a Honey Bee Colony/Beehive using organic or natural beekeeping techniques and specifically designed for the hobbyist beginner beekeeper.
These courses certainly are not the BEE all and END all of learning in beekeeping and its important to note that you will not be able to learn everything in one or two seasons but by taking these courses it will help create awareness of the most important issues and the key tasks you need to know. From this starting point you can develop your skills further.