Are you a beginner beekeeper and need help with how to manage your Beehive colony ?
We get heaps of questions from beginner Beekeepers – maybe they are asking the same questions as you ?
Questions we have been getting from new beekeepers
….I need some advice on understanding what I am looking at – what exactly is in a Beehive ? what do I need to know about managing a beehive ? Have I set up my hive properly ? what should I be looking out for ? what is the best way to deal with aggressive Bees ? I feel overwhelmed when I am looking in my Beehive – how can I make it easier ? why do my bees keep dying ? what tools will help me when I inspect my hive ?…Do I have to look inside my Beehive ? What will happen if I don’t look inside ? What risks are involved with keeping Honey Bees ? are there any ‘rules’ involved with keeping Honey Bees ? Do Bees get sick ? what exactly is in a Beehive ? Have I set up my hive properly ? Why do my Bees die ?
This introductory 5 hour Beekeeping Course is based in West Auckland, New Zealand. Please join the waitlist if this is Out of Stock, once we have enough students we will schedule dates for the next course.
where do I start ? …start with this course
This simple and informative introductory course gives an introduction to Beehive Management for beginner beekeepers. It will give you a great overview of the why’s and how’s of running a Honey Bee colony. Suitable for new beekeepers or beginners with Bees. The course is run from our Apiary where we will have class time but also visit the Bees and go through an inspection of a fully-working Beehive.
Benefits of taking a kiwimana Beekeeping Course ?
6 students per course – more exclusive – with low student numbers – more attention for you
Beekeeping Course Breakdown
Gain insights on how best to manage your Beehive and learn what you need to be aware of. Glimpse at the basic ‘ how to’s ’ of Beehive Management and inspection methodology. Demonstrations of how to use basic tools & equipment more effectively. Gaining understanding of how you can be confident when working your Beehive. Included is a look at a bee yard set up, while at the bee yard you will have a look inside a fully-working Beehive.
This one day course runs for 5 hours. It comprises of three sessions as detailed below.
First Session no Bees – classroom
- Seasons + Bee Activities + Bee Behaviour
- Beekeeper Activities – what should I be doing ?
- Inspection + why ?
- Pests and Threats
- What are the Risks ?
Second Session no Bees – classroom
- Beekeeping Tools and Equipment – how and why
- What is Health, Disease and Beekeeper Hygiene?
- What are the Risks?
Third Session – Visit the Apiary & Meet the Bees
- Introduction to our Apiary
- Lighting a smoker
- What are the Risks?
- Meet the Bees + inspecting a fully working Beehive.
Book Now !!
Current Start Dates of Courses
To be advised once booking/payment is confirmed – located in Waitakere Township, West Auckland.
Waitakere RD 2
Contact details for Margaret :
Mobile 0211 752 137
or landline (09) 810 9965 please leave voice message
Please arrive on time to take full advantage of Beekeeping course content.
You will be automatically booked into the course you choose – once payment has been received.
Thanks for choosing kiwimana to explore a start to your Beekeeping Adventures.
See you there 🙂
…join the kiwimana buzz… Free NEWSLETTER HERE
Goal of the Introduction to Beehive Management for Beginner Beekeepers
The overall goal of this basic introductory course is to help you manage your Beehive with purpose. To help you understand Bee Behaviour and how to use that in your beekeeping. Learning these skills and methods will help you grow your skills as your Bees grow.
After the introduction course, there will be further learning opportunities so you can gain wider Beekeeping and Beehive management understanding. The overall goal of offering these extra courses is so you can grow your learning and apply it in the season you are in.
Other Courses we run
- Introduction to the World of Beekeeping – click HERE for further information
- Intro to Beehive Management for Beeginuzz - click HERE for further information
- Seasonal Beehive Space Management - Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter - click HERE for further information
- Organic Varroa Management - Integrated Pest Management Program (IPM) - click HERE for further information
- Beehive Management - Splits Swarms - click HERE for further information
- Beehive Management - Honey Extraction - click HERE for further information/span>
- Flexi Classes - Mixed Content - Your Choice - click HERE for further information
These courses will help you in gaining some basic knowledge from looking at a Beehive to gaining understanding as to what is IN a Beehive, then increase your knowledge on to, How to manage a Beehive.
Best times for Bee Courses = anytimeIn Bee Season 2019 Kiwimana will run courses regularly. Options include
- Weekdays - Wednesdays and Thursdays
- Weekends - Saturdays and Sundays
Benefits of taking a kiwimana Beekeeping Course?
- We have over 10 years of beekeeping experience
- We run our Beehives organically
- 6 students per course - more exclusive - with low student numbers - more attention for you
- We are experienced in dealing with The Varroa Destructor Mite organically
- We are hobbyist beekeepers
- All methods and tools are used by us in our day-to-day management of our Beehives
Due to the extensive subject matter in beekeeping, kiwimana present our tried and true beehive management methods, using the simplest and easy to apply methods for beginners so you can gain awareness to help you keep your beehive colony alive.
It’s important to note, that as with any new learning, your skills will grow as your experience grows.
These courses are specific to managing a Honey Bee Colony/Beehive using organic or natural beekeeping techniques and specifically designed for the hobbyist beginner beekeeper.
These courses certainly are not the BEE all and END all of learning in beekeeping and its important to note that you will not be able to learn everything in one or two seasons but by taking these courses it will help create awareness of the most important issues and the key tasks you need to know. From this starting point you can develop your skills further.