This week we are chatting with Michael Young from Northern Ireland. You can download the podcast directly from HERE, or click on the play button above. This is Episode Forty Three of our beekeeping podcast. Michael Young is a Beekeeper from Northern Ireland, who is also the current chairman of the Institute of Northern Ireland Beekeepers and was awarded the MBE in 2009, for voluntary services to beekeeping. He loves bees and is addicted to making mead? Michael is also an Executive Chef at the Hilton Hotel.
Linda Tillman did a great post about Michael’s encaustic painting talk:- Michael Young on encaustic painting
Things you will Learn from this chat with Michael
- Never Move a Hive at night without a roof on it
- The average beekeeper in Northern Island only has four hives
- What is the length of the bee season in Northern Ireland
- Ling Heather is the best honey in the world, Ling Honey comes from the Calluna plant
- Only six people in Ireland have Langstroth hives
- The national hive is the worse hive in the world
- You can’t move bees from Southern Ireland into Northern Ireland
- An AFB Spore can last 100 years in old gear
- The bees have a world wide web inside the hives
- Why you should never use Banana Oil in your bee hives.
In 2009 Michael received the MBE for for voluntary services to beekeeping. Here are some Recipes using Honey by Michael Young Recipes using Honey by Michael Young You can follow the Institute of Northern Ireland Beekeepers on Twittter at HERE. You can also find their facebook page HERE.
Scottish honey ‘is as good at healing as manuka’ An great book:- Infectious Diseases of the Honey-bee – Leslie Bailey *Currently out of print Who Brought bees into New Zealand:- 1839 Honey Bees Brought to NZ
One of Michael’s favorite Books
The Buzz about Bees: Biology of a Superorganism by Jürgen Tautz
Hobas – HoneyBee Online Studies
The Honey Bee online Studies web site is at:- http://www.hobos.de/en. A great resource for teaching children about bees.
PowerPoint Presentations Michael Mentioned
Here are the presentations mentioned by Michael, you will need to have Microsoft Powerpoint or a viewer to display these. Treating Bees with Oxalic Acid…Marion Ellis Essential oils 2 We also located an interesting Guide to Essential Oils for Beekeeping:- Guide to Essential Oils for Beekeeping
Phil Chandler’s Website:-
End of the Show!!
Do you love what we do? did find something useful for your beekeeping? Do you want to help us to continue to produce more content? It’s easy to do ! In addition to that - being a supporter also gives you:-
- An exclusive secret RSS feed that provides you with:-
- Early Access to Shows - You get the shows a week before the general release-date!!!
- Exclusive Supporter behind the scenes videos via the Patreon Application
- Thanked personally on the Podcasts
- Warm Heart - You will have a great sleep knowing you are helping the world-wide bee community, by helping Gary and Margaret produce podcast shows, Videos and Blog posts to bee shared in the beekeeping community.
Please Subscribe to the Show
So did you enjoy that show ?...did you find something useful you can use in your beekeeping work or help keep you company as you work your bees??? Yes?
Then You can have the next show to automagically appear on your podcast listening device, simple to subscribe.
Visit http://kiwi.bz/subscribe to discover ways you can subscribe to the show.
Subscribing to the show is Totaly FREE
Other Ways to subscribe to The kiwimana Buzz...Have a Apple device subscribe in Apple Podcasts
Have spotify we are on there too!
Click here to subscribe via Google Podcasts
Click here to subscribe via RSS
You can also subscribe via Stitcher
We are on I Heart Radio