Post Updated on
Today we checked the hive for any frames that had mostly capped honey and glad to report that we found nine frames. So it was time to do our first extraction of the year. We didn’t get as much honey this season due to the splits and Queen raising experiments we did in spring. But saying that we still have a couple of months of potential good weather, so we may be doing another extraction.
We extracted eight frames (our extractor only does two frames at a time, so you can’t extract odd number frames. The total jars we got were:-
- Small jars 13
- Large jars 10
Some of the frames came apart in the extractor. These were old frames from last year, so we are not sure what happened it may have been the heat today. Also some of the honey couldn’t be extracted, I suspect this is the thick Manuka honey that is hard to get out.
We tried pricking the cells but still no luck, oh well the bees can have it back. Also we need to build or buy a decapping tank using a big bowl isn’t working and I feel is making the process very messy.
What do you use as a de-capping tank, please leave a comment. At the end of the day we put the 3/4 box back on top of the hive above the inner roof cover or hive mat, so the bees can clean up the frames. In a week we will remove it and hopefully the bees have cleaned up the frames for next year.