This week we are talking to Dr. Henk Tennekes from the Netherlands. This is Episode fifty two of our beekeeping podcast.
You can download the podcast directly HERE, or click on the play button above. Feel free to share it with your friends.
“Knowing what I do, there would be no future peace for me if I kept silent…”
Dr Henk Tennekes is a esteemed toxicologist and author.
Henk Tennekes has been working in cancer research for most of his career. He has been studying neonicotinoids in relation to decline of insects and bird life.
He discovered that this family of pesticides are not only effecting bees but other insects and birds.
In 2010 he publish his findings the in the book “A Disaster in the Making“. We encourage you to support Henk’s work and buy a copy of his fantastic book.
We encourage you to copy this recording and please give it to any friends or family that may buy pesticides for their home garden. Let’s all vote against these products with our dollars.
Here’s What You’ll Learn from Henk Tennekes
- How Henk came up with the idea for his book
- Clothianidin can remain in the soil for nineteen years.
- Neonicotinoids are water soluble and threaten fish and water dependent insects
- Insects are the main food source for many mammals and fish.
- Neonicotinoids destroy insects immune system and help infections in beehives to spread.
- Chytrid Fungus is wiping out frogs in California
- Bats are being wiped out by White Nose Syndrome
- Everything is connected, you can’t destroy insects without it effecting all species (including humans).
- Acute toxicity tests are not effective enough to demonstrate the long effect on Honey Bees
- Neonicotinoids are legal because of the failure of our government regulators
- There is a break in the food chain happening before our eyes
- Autism in children has increased since Neonicotinoids were introduced
- Neonicotinoids are used in Pet Flea products such as “Advantage”
- Bayer is not releasing its own studies on Neonicotinoids
- Austrian agriculture is 40% organic 🙂
What Was Mentioned
- Henk’s book Disaster in the making can be purchased here HERE
- Dutch Parliament votes to ban all Neonicotinoids pesticide use in the Netherlands, you can read more HERE
- Sue Kedgleys work on bee health
- Dr Alex Lu Harvard study, read more HERE
- Syngenta and Bayer go to court against the European Commission, find out more HERE