This is Episode One hundred and forty two of our beekeeping show – Beekeeping in the Hawkes Bay with Beekeeper John Berry.
Kiwimana are beekeepers from the hills of the Waitakere Ranges on the wild west coast of Auckland in the North Island of New Zealand.
We produce and sell beekeeping equipment, provide Beekeeper services and education.
The interview was recorded in March 2019.
Who helped us in bringing this show to you?
This show without our amazing supporters.
Every show we read out our top Supporters and on the first show of each month we read out all the supporters. Thanks to you all.
Trish Stretton, Lisa Morrissey, Nathan Buzzinga Beekeeping, Barbara Weber, Christopher Brown and Greg Parr.
John Berry is a third generation beekeeper and worked in the family Business “Arataki Honey” before starting his own business “Berry Bees” with his brother Peter. He now produces comb-honey for the Hawkes Bay Farmers Market.
Further Reading on topics mentioned in the show
2015 – An interview with John’s Father “Ian Berry” is HERE
2011 – Beekeepers fire up over outbreak
2016 – John Berry: Buzz off, you beekeeping bandits
2019 – Beekeepers say there’s not enough food for all hives as more and more are created
Arataki Honey website is HERE
Gary’s Key Takeaways
Gary’s four major Takeaways from this interview
- There is only so many flowers to go around
- The Biggest long term problem in New Zealand is Varroa Mites
- Bees are affected by varroa mites before you see any signs of PMS
- If you don’t have the time to help your bees at the time it needs doing then you shouldn’t be keeping bees
Do you love what we do?
End of the Show!!
Do you love what we do? did find something useful for your beekeeping? Do you want to help us to continue to produce more content? It’s easy to do ! In addition to that – being a supporter also gives you:-
- An exclusive secret RSS feed that provides you with:-
- Early Access to Shows – You get the shows a week before the general release-date!!!
- Exclusive Supporter behind the scenes videos via the Patreon Application
- Thanked personally on the Podcasts
- Warm Heart – You will have a great sleep knowing you are helping the world-wide bee community, by helping Gary and Margaret produce podcast shows, Videos and Blog posts to bee shared in the beekeeping community.
Support what we do? – BeeCome a Supporter
Did we say it’s easy to do??? So why not Join us today???
Please Subscribe to the Show
So did you enjoy that show ?…did you find something useful you can use in your beekeeping work or help keep you company as you work your bees??? Yes?
Then You can have the next show to automagically appear on your podcast listening device, simple to subscribe.
Visit http://kiwi.bz/subscribe to discover ways you can subscribe to the show.
Subscribing to the show is Totaly FREE
Other Ways to subscribe to The kiwimana Buzz…Have a Apple device subscribe in Apple Podcasts
Have spotify we are on there too!
Click here to subscribe via Google Podcasts
Click here to subscribe via RSS
You can also subscribe via Stitcher
We are on I Heart Radio
- What do you love about beekeeping? 00:02:00
- What happened to the clover this year? 00:02:59
- How did John get started in Beekeeping? 00:03:28
- How did Arataki Honey get started 00:03:45
- What would John tell his younger self 00:06:06
- Do you have a funny beekeeping experience that you would like to share? 00:10:31
- What can we do about AFB in New Zealand 00:12:19
- The Honey levy proposed by Apiculture New Zealand 00:16:29
- What does John think about the overstocking of hives in the Hawkes Bay? 00:18:12
- What’s the biggest issue facing beekeeping In the Hawkes Bay? 00:20:05
- John work with VSH Queens 00:22:13
- John is a Comb Honey Specialist producer 00:23:10
- What does John use to Control Mites 00:24:46
- John’s mites showed signs of resistance to Bayvarol Strips 00:25:00
- John is going to try Oxalic acid 00:27:30
- Treated Bees produce more Honey 00:29:29
- What’s the biggest mistake you see a lot of new beekeepers making? 00:30:21
- Is monitoring varroa mites a good idea? 00:31:15
- Has Varroa benefited New Zealand Beekeeping? 00:34:30
- Will Feral Bees return to New Zealand? 00:35:34
- Why do bees turn nasty 00:37:59
- Our Bees are designed to have a winter 00:41:00
- Does the Hawkes Bay have a lot of wasps? 00:42:11
- What are John’s plans for the coming season? 00:43:56
- Is overstocking because of Manuka? 00:45:49
- The pollination of clover is being threatened 00:46:40
- The price of manuka sites is getting stupid 00:50:12
- The Manuka Crop was zero this year in the HB 00:51:07
- What does John think of the new Manuka Standard 00:54:20
- cl_funky_b1 by craqs via FreeSound.org
- Blues riff in Eb on electric guitar BY UncleSigmund
- Slow Burn Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com) Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0 License
- Blues Riff in G (Nylon) by FullMetalJedi via FreeSound.org