Post Updated on
This week we are talking to Ron Miksha from Calgary in Canada. This is Episode One Hundred and Thirteen of our beekeeping podcast.
Welcome To the kiwimana buzz..
Hi, it’s Gary and Margaret here, We are beekeepers from the hills of the Waitakere Ranges in West Auckland, New Zealand. Our podcast is about beekeeping, Gardening and bit of politics about environmental issues. We also have been known to go off on tangents about other issues.
This week we would like to thankJustin Bumpstead
Justin has been supporting the kiwimana buzz for over 3 months For all your Honey and Honey based products check out Bumpstead Family Apiaries Thanks for your support!!! If you also value what we do, please consider supporting us on http://kiwi.bz/banana You can download the podcast directly HERE, or click on the play button above. Feel free to share it with your friends. This post may contain affiliate links, which means we may receive a small payment if you make a purchase using these links. The interview with Ron was recorded in October 2016 Thank you for listening to our show, we know life is busy for you and appreciate you have taken the time to join us today
Ron Miksha is a Writer and Beekeeper from Calgary in Canada. Ron has been involved in Beekeeping for many years as a Commercial Beekeeping and educator. He is the author of the Bad Beekeeping book and blog.
Here is what you will discover (Now with Times!!!)
For your reference we now include times for the conversation points, Some podcast players allow you to click on the times to jump to that section.
- How Ron got started in Beekeeping 02:56
- Ron Goes to University 07:36
- How Ron Produced Comb Honey 08:40
- Why did Ron Change Careers 12:13
- Did the Honey Prices Increase? 13:52
- What Excites Ron About Beekeeping 15:08
- You can’t control the weather 20:27
- Calgary is known as cowtown 22:31
- The Bad Beekeeping Blog is 21 years old 24:30
- What are Blogs about? 26:01
- Neonicotinoids causing no issues in Alberta! 26:16
- What types of Crops are Grown in Alberta? 28:18
- Bee Die off in Ontario 30:14
- Why did the Ontario Die off Happen? 32:14
- Are Honey Bees harmful to Native Bees 34:03
- Native Bees added to Endangered List in Hawaii 36:10
- Where does get his ideas for his blog Posts 38:41
- Books that influenced Ron 40:50
- A Heavy Metal Band was Named after Ron? 45:23
- If Ron was a time Traveler – What would he tell his younger self 46:45
- Ron Miksha and Neil Bertram Course 49:00
- The most common questions Ron’s Students Ask is? 51:01
- What are Ron’s plans for next season 52:47
Resources mentioned in the show
- Ron’s Famous Bad Beekeeping Blog can be found HERE
- Follow Ron on Twitter HERE
- Ron’s Book “Bad Beekeeping” can be found HERE
- Fifty Years Among the Bees – by Dr. C. C. Miller – Get it from Phil’s Website BioBees.com HERE. Or buy a hard copy HERE
- The Joys of Beekeeping by Richard Taylor, can be bought from HERE
- Ron’s Wikipedia Page is HERE
- Miksha the Heavy Metal Band
- Ron’s Beekeeping Business Course – Making Money from Honey
End of the Show!!
Do you love what we do? did find something useful for your beekeeping? Do you want to help us to continue to produce more content? It’s easy to do ! In addition to that – being a supporter also gives you:-
- An exclusive secret RSS feed that provides you with:-
- Early Access to Shows – You get the shows a week before the general release-date!!!
- Exclusive Supporter behind the scenes videos via the Patreon Application
- Thanked personally on the Podcasts
- Warm Heart – You will have a great sleep knowing you are helping the world-wide bee community, by helping Gary and Margaret produce podcast shows, Videos and Blog posts to bee shared in the beekeeping community.
Support what we do? – BeeCome a Supporter
Did we say it’s easy to do??? So why not Join us today???
Please Subscribe to the Show
So did you enjoy that show ?…did you find something useful you can use in your beekeeping work or help keep you company as you work your bees??? Yes?
Then You can have the next show to automagically appear on your podcast listening device, simple to subscribe.
Visit http://kiwi.bz/subscribe to discover ways you can subscribe to the show.
Subscribing to the show is Totaly FREE
Other Ways to subscribe to The kiwimana Buzz…Have a Apple device subscribe in Apple Podcasts
Have spotify we are on there too!
Click here to subscribe via Google Podcasts
Click here to subscribe via RSS
You can also subscribe via Stitcher
We are on I Heart Radio
- All Photos courtesy of Ron Miksha
- Slow Burn Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com) Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0 License